Updates and upgrades are the bane of every patent practioner because they always break something with the USPTO. If you are using an Apple Macintosh computer and you upgrade to Safari v.10, then you will need to re-enable Java. Here is how to do so.
1. In Safari, go to pair.uspto.gov.
2. Go to Safari menu --> Preferences --> Security --> Plugin Settings...
3. While holding down the Option button -- click on Java.
4. While holding down the Option button -- select the option menu -- and deselect / turn off "RUN IN SAFE MODE"
5. This will bring up a pop-up window. Select "Trust".
This post is derived from a colleague's message.