SNAP-R for exporters
This is the second in a series of posts concerning U.S. export control laws. The U.S. Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) offers an Internet based service called Simplified Network Application Process - Redesign (SNAP-R) for businesses to request "export license applications, commodity classification requests, encryption registration, reexport license applications, and license exception AGR notifications...." See SNAP-R page. Additionally, the BIS offers a FAQ page concerning the functionality and use of SNAP-R. See FAQ page. In order to perform any of those functions, you need to register for a SNAP-R account. We estimate that registering for a SNAP-R account could take anywhere from 3-10 business days.
1. Go to the SNAP-R homepage and select "Register online for a SNAP-R account".
2. Complete the SNAP-R Company Registration.
3. Once you have submitted the company registration, you will receive the following notification.
4. You will receive a verification e-mail at the address that you submitted.
5. By clicking the link, your e-mail address is confirmed and your company registration will be processed.
6. If BIS has any questions about your application, they will send you an e-mail with their questions.
7. Once BIS approves your registration, they will send you an e-mail notification to setup your SNAP-R user account.
8. By clicking the link, you will have to choose a Login ID and Password.
9. Once you have selected a Login ID and Password, you will receive the following notification.
With your completed registration, you are ready to request "export license applications, commodity classification requests, encryption registration, reexport license applications, and license exception AGR notifications...."